Monday, February 15, 2010

Hello from D Island

I made it out to the Island in the sun!
It is my third day out here now, so far so good. It is good to get some progress and close out work. And also see "the real world" out here, what we are actually building, fixing and working on. It helps me get perspective, and my work make more sense! Not bad!
I have been walking the island back and forth, up and down. It is pretty cold and strong wind out here, so even though the temperature is just minus 15 it is ICE cold due to strong wind. The Caspian is fully frozen up here, solid ice everywhere, but the Island is protected with ice breakers surrounding the island like huge sausages, so the boats and installation is protected from shifts and movements in the ice.

Like any child going to kindergarten, I have double wool long underwear and jumpers, and a coverall, and over that a HUGE winter jacket. And big nice safety boots with grandmas knitted wool socks, so my feet are happy. And on my head I have a wool bank-robber-hood, and helmet and glasses. And mittens. No skin is exposed! Works out great, have not been cold a second! The only problem I have is that it is hard to recognize people when you meet them. It is not until you can read their name on the helmet that you figure out who they are! But then you can also "go undercover" and sneak in wherever you want! Fun fun!!


Ian took some pictures while we were waiting for our helicopter to come and take us back to the main land. The first one is from my cabin, reading a magazine while we were waiting. The two others are from the top deck of the vessel. It was a somewhat mild day, the wind direction changed that day, so the weather changed with about 15 degrees, but I could still only stay out for a minute or so...brrrrr....

No comments:

Post a Comment